New CEO Of Twitter, Parag Agarwal Is India’s Yet Another Gift To The World
Parag Agarwal has been working at Twitter for over 10 years now and his outstanding performance in some key developments there had earned him the designation of CTO (Chief Technology Officer) until he had to take over as the CEO.
India’s contribution to the world in the fields of Yoga, Literature, Philosophy, Ayurveda, Technology, etc has been recognised since decades. However, the fact that Indian personnel are also leading some of the world’s biggest companies is still relatively unknown. But the discussion has been sparked again after Twitter announced that Parag Agarwal will be its next CEO. This notification came after Jack Dorsey, the co-founder of Twitter decided to step aside and explore other avenues.
Parag has been working at Twitter for over 10 years now and his outstanding performance in some key developments there had earned him the designation of CTO (Chief Technology Officer) until he had to take over as the CEO. Jack Dorsey announced this on Twitter along with showering Parag with heaps of praise and mentioning that Parag was the ideal person to take the company forward. Parag also acknowledged Jack’s confidence in him and promised to guide Twitter to its full potential.
Also read: 5 Entrepreneurs That Have Transformed The Indian Start-Up Ecosystem!
Parag Agarwal’s Early Career
Parag Agarwal is an alumnus of IIT Bombay and has completed his PhD from Stanford University in the US. He has accumulated valuable experience of the work culture while doing his internships at firms like Microsoft, AT&T and Yahoo. These experiences exposed him to unlock his full potential and he started working at Twitter in 2011. After working there for 7 years, he achieved the designation of CTO in 2018 and had impressed everyone at Twitter. Now that Jack Dorsey decided to exit the company, he placed his trust in Parag to deliver in times to come.
List of other prominent Indian CEOs
Indians migrating to the US, in particular, have made a name for themselves on a global scale. The work ethics, dedication and smartness of Indians combined with the opportunity in the US has yielded quite impressive results in the past as well. We have compiled a list of some of these impressive individuals of Indian origin along with their current positions in giant companies.
- Satya Nadella is the Executive Chairman and CEO at Microsoft. Now, there is absolutely no need to describe the stature of Microsoft to anyone. Nadella was appointed the CEO at Microsoft back in 2014 and the Chairman recently in 2021. He has a plethora of accolades to his name for some outstanding performances in crucial projects at Microsoft.
- Sundar Pichai is the current CEO of Alphabet Inc. which is the parent company of Google. Google is one of the biggest companies in the world. The search engine is the go-to option for everyone in this modern age irrespective of what kind of information you are looking for. The impressive list of services he managed at Google since 2004 includes Google Chrome, Chrome OS, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Maps, Chromebook, Android among others. He also featured in Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People twice, in 2016 and 2020.
- Shantanu Narayen is the CEO at Adobe. He overtook the positions of Chairman (2017), President (2005) and CEO (2007) at Adobe. Adobe is one of the world’s biggest computer software companies that offers services from students to businesses across the globe. Narayen has been working at Adobe since 1998.
- Arvind Krishna is the current Chairman and CEO at IBM and has been working there for over 30 years. One of his many grand feats is the successful acquisition of Red Hat worth $34 Billion which is also the largest software acquisition. This has applications in the hybrid cloud market. Wired Magazine named him “one of 25 geniuses who are creating the future of business” in 2016.
- Nikesh Arora is the Chairman and CEO at Palo Alto Networks. Nikesh is another example of a talented individual from IIT Banaras. Palo Alto Networks is a global cybersecurity leader and has business in over 150 countries worldwide. The revenue of the company was $4.3 Billion in FY 2021. The company also has other Indians on prominent positions. If the current scenario is anything to go by, these may well be signs of things to come.
- Leena Nair is appointed as the next CEO of global luxury brand, Chanel. She will take the helm at the French iconic firm from January 2022. Having been in Unilever for over 30 years where she managed 1,50,000 people, she held the post of Chief of Human Resources until now. An alumnus of XLRI Jamshedpur, Leena is an Indian-born British national. She was the first woman and the youngest-ever Chief Human Resources officer at Unilever which is a feat in itself. Leena is yet another distinguished global leader out of India.
This exclusive list of over-achievers at some of the biggest companies in the world is a symbol of global recognition for leaders of Indian origin. Indian entrepreneurs have contributed immensely to the global expansion of prominent international companies from varied industries. Elon Musk was also recently quoted as saying “USA benefits greatly from Indian talent”. This, in essence, sums up the impact that prominent Indian figures have on the world today. Parag Agarwal is simply another feather in India’s precious crown.
Also read: Meet The Founder Of Omnipresent, Aakash Sinha; The Man Who Aided India To Reach The Moon!